History of Sts Peter and Paul Church


Through the zealous efforts of the young seminarian, Rev. Mr. John Rommack, a young seminarian sent by Bishop Basil Takach, Sts. Peter and Paul parish was founded on January 7, 1925. In October of 1926 new property was purchased, the former old Central School on School and Prospect Streets.

In October of 1935 Rev. John Stim assumed the duties as pastor. During his ten years of service at Sts. Peter and Paul, the church debt was liquidated and a rectory and land to be used as a cemetery were purchased.


In September 1945 Father Stim was transferred. His successor was Rev. Sylvester Hladky. At that time there were 37 families in the parish.

The land selected for the new church was prime land. It fronted East Market Street at the corner of Belvedere, Northeast. The tract of land was sufficient to accommodate the church proper, a rectory and parking facilities. An added two-acre tract of land was purchased across the street from the rectory on Belvedere to be used as the proposed site for constructing a school.

On May 1,1950 ground was broken. On December 18, 1951 the faithful attended their first Liturgy in the new church after the blessing of the cornerstone. The blessing and dedication of the church was held on June 29, 1952.

The parish consisted primarily of many young families and their children. The need for a school was becoming evident. In 1953 a home located on the corner of Willard and East Market Street was purchased for use as a Convent for Sisters.

The school began in the fall of 1955 with a total enrollment of 72 pupils. The new school, modern in every respect, was blessed with the opening of the 1957 year.

Sts. Peter and Paul School operated a pre-school for 3 and 4 year olds and kindergarten to eighth grade classes in the 26 classroom building. Included in the plant were a faculty room for teachers, a library, an audio-visual learning center, music room, book and religious goods store, machine room, art room, and science laboratory. Along with lay teachers, the Benedictine Sisters of the Byzantine Rite staffed the school. A religious education program was provided for students attending public schools.

 
In 1990 after years of saving funds, a home for the senior citizens of the parish, the Infant of Prague Manor, was built and dedicated. It is a 46 apartment building for independent living for the elderly.

The parishioners of Sts. Peter and Paul are very proud of their accomplishments from the humble beginning in 1925.


Starting in 2006, through the leadership of Father Bob Karl, Sts. Peter and Paul went through an extensive reconstruction.  The parish sold the school after an unsustainable enrollment. The funds of the sale of the school helped the parish afford extensive renovations that included a new social hall, many needed repairs, and a whole new Byzantine style redecorating.   

2010 brought yet another change to Sts. Peter and Paul Church, with the arrival of Father Andrew Deskevich.  Father Andrew replaces Father Bob Karl who was transferred to Sts. Peter and Paul, Erie, PA.  Father Andrew completed much needed projects at the parish house as well as introduced a different sense of parish family unity within the church.

In the years to follow, Father Andrew had many responsibilities awarded to him in our great Metropolitan. His assistance to the church and particularly with Arch Metropolitan William gave way for many exciting new opportunities for contributions to our lives enriching us with new education and social growth.

In 2014 our church was equipped with new media equipment allowing our education and social events to be expanded.

In October, 2015, Father Deskevich was reassigned closer to his responsibilities in our Metropolitan and he moved to Munhall, PA. Father Simeon B. Sibenik took over the leadership of this fine parish on October 22, 2015. We continue to grow and immerse ourselves in our walk with the Lord.

Make a free website with Yola